Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Knowing

There is this song I heard a few years ago by an indie artist, a great songwriter, and my favorite line is;

"Its so sad when people you know become people you knew..."

The evolution of relationships, summed up right there. It isn't likely that I'll ever have a conversation where I'll say "Oh, yeah, I knew *enter ex-husbands name here*" but, that doesn't make the evolution any less real.

Because I did know him. But, I'll never know him again. Not the same way. He will now always be someone I knew. Past tense.

Past.

I used to think the past was what would keep us together. So much history. So many shared memories. For me, those kinds of things matter. They are important.

I forget that being sentimental isn't as romantic as I like to pretend it is. No one else will ever care about my memories the same way I do.

The things I know. And the things I thought I knew. Funny how they are the same and yet so drastically different.






No comments:

Post a Comment